Why switch to LED lighting?

LED Strip / Tape is Simple to Install and adds a splash of colour to any room!

Energy Saving LED Bulbs

The mounting global concern over climate change has resulted into a mad scramble for viable solutions to its contributing factors, chief of which is energy consumption. Among the leading and most promising solutions for it is LED lighting, yet though it has been around for several years, its adoption is not as widespread as hoped.

The biggest reason for this is the initial cost. LED lighting significantly costs higher than conventional lighting, making people hesitate about switching to them. Considering its huge impact on energy conservation, is it really worth it to switch to LED?

To answer the question of its cost effectiveness, let us first look into the advantages of LED lighting.

Advantages of LED lighting

LED technology has been around for many years and has been touted as the future of lighting. Here are some reasons why:

LED Bulbs are the most energy efficient bulbs you can buy! Light Rabbit's range of LED bulbs will also save you money as well as the environment!

Energy efficiency

Foremost among the advantages of LED is its highly efficient use of energy. The typical LED bulb converts 80% of its electrical energy into light energy. On the other hand, a halogen bulb converts only 20% of its electrical energy into light, wasting the rest as heat energy. As for compact fluorescent bulbs or CFLs, they convert around 60-70% to light. Simply put, LED uses lesser wattage for the same amount of emitted light.

LEDs Offer Durability

LED lights have two major advantages when it comes to durability: its design and its technology. By design, LED bulbs have no moving parts and no need for elements made of glass. This makes it resistant to breaking caused by impact or pressure. As for its technology, a LED bulb is rated at 50,000 hours of light depending on model. That is about 50 times more than the lifespan of a typical incandescent bulb and 5 times more than CFLs.

LED is non-toxicNo health and environment risks

At the time of its release, CFL has been praised for its clear advantage over incandescent in terms of energy efficiency. It was only later on, however, that the general populace became aware of its health and environmental risks. All CFL bulbs contain 3-5mg of mercury that is necessary for it to work. Though it is less harmful when inside the bulb, it still poses a big threat to our family’s health especially when there are kids around. Also, a large percentage of used CFLs are going into landfills. When these break apart, the mercury inside could seep down into the waterbed and eventually to rivers and other sources of water. LEDs on the other hand, have no harmful chemicals in it and virtually every part is recyclable.

Consistent and wide-ranged colours

LED lights produce vibrant lighting that is guaranteed to remain the same all throughout its life. It also does not flicker no matter how many times it is turned on and off, doesn’t have any hot spot, nor does it produce any glare. There is also a wide range of colours to choose from, ranging from cool whites suited for offices or warmer whites for homes.

Cost effectiveness

LED lighting initially costs more than conventional lighting, but because of its durability it would eventually pay for itself.

Long term vs. short term

Considering the advantages stated above, it is quite clear that, as far as cost goes, the benefits of LED lighting are huge in the long run. Its durability alone eliminates the need for frequent buying of replacements. More importantly, the huge effect of its energy efficiency can be immediately felt with your monthly electricity bills. Lighting accounts for a significant percentage of electricity use, whether in homes or offices, and at 90% power efficiency the decrease in cost is substantial.

Clearly LED lighting is worth the initial investment. Not only does it save on energy and maintenance costs but it also gives you the opportunity to help the environment as well.

Shop LED Lights

Read more LED Lighting Help and Advice in our Buying Guides Section by clicking here or check out which LED bulbs you need with our handy LED Bulb Base Selector Page by clicking here. You can find more specific domestic LED lighting advice by clicking here..

Our products work with: Our products work with

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Subscribe to our LED newsletter to receive all the latest news, be the first to learn about new products and benefit from exclusive discounts and LED promotions.